1300 30 50 30

24 Hours a Day. 7 Days a Week


If your question is not listed below, please contact us, we're only too happy to help!

Do you have a 24/7 emergency callout service?

Yes we do – we offer a 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with immediate dispatch if your property is flooded for any reason – storm damage, blocked drain, appliance breakdown, etc. etc. Just cal Kleen-Tech – 1300 30 50 30 – and we will be with you in an hour or less. Even on Christmas day.

Which suburbs in Melbourne do you service?

We service the entire greater Melbourne area from Geelong to Warburton and from Werribee to Waverley.

Are you water and flood damage specialist, or just a general cleaning company?

We are water and flood restoration specialists. We have been doing this specialised work for more than 23 years, during which time we have restored on over 6,000 domestic and commercial premises.

Do you do industrial and commercial work as well as private homes and units?

No job is too big or small for Kleen-Tech – anything from a granny flat to 60 flooded bedrooms in a Melbourne CBD hotel.

Are you an owner managed business or a franchise?

We are a wholly family-owned and family-managed business, Melbourne born and Melbourne based. We are not part of a franchise group, and we do not sub-contract any work to third parties, unless they are licensed tradesmen such as plumbers and electricians.

If my home or business is flooded what should I do first?

Make sure your family or staff are safe and dry, then call Kleen-Tech for an emergency one hour response.
Try and turn off the source of the water, and place towels across to prevent the water from spreading onto adjoining dry areas.
Move as many possessions as you safely can to a dry part of the premises, or lift them off the floor.

Is your work guaranteed?

We stand by our work and our customers and our objective is restore your premises to their pre-flood condition

Why is it important to start drying out the premises as soon as possible

The longer a flooded or water damaged premises stays waterlogged, the more damage is done to the structure, and the more expensive it is to restore to its pre-flood condition. Carpet damage is on the surface, but sub-floors, walls and ceilings start absorbing water within hours.

How will you dry out and restore my premises?

The first thing we will do is assess the damage and then put specialised equipment in place to extract the water and dry the premises as fast as possible, though this process might require a few days.

What about water damage to floors, walls, ceilings and plaster?

Flooding of structural elements such as sub floors, ceiling and walls can have serious consequences if they are not fully dried, including permanent weakness, collapse, and long-term mould and mildew problems causing offensive odours. we ensure that surfaces and subsurface are completely dry by monitoring with specialised equipment before restoring floors, walls, ceilings and any other damaged elements, such as built in cupboards, etc.

Are you wet carpet specialists? How will you dry and restore my fitted carpets?

If the carpet can be saved, we usually lift it and dry it, often from both sides and the same time (a process called float drying). If the underfelt can be dried, we do that too, otherwise the wet underfelt is removed and replaced. When the carpet is dry, it is stretched to compensate for any shrinkage, and then re-laid by our professional carpet layers. Finally, we deep steam clean the carpet, deodorise it and treat for mildew. It will then look as good as it did before it was flooded.

Will you assist me with my insurance claim?

We will be with you every step of the way. We will provide the assessment and documentation the insurance company requires. Rest assured we will make the process as easy as possible.

Will the water damage restoration be covered by my insurance policy?

In most cases the cost of restoration and repair is covered by the insurance policy. We have been dealing with insurance companies for more than 20 years, and know exactly what they require to check and complete claims with minimum delay.

What if I am a rental tenant?

Rented or leased premises are usually covered by the landlord’s insurance company, or by the tenant’s own contents insurance policy , or by the body corporate. Kleen-Tech has had decades of experience in this area and will be happy to advise you. Just call Kleen-Tech and leave the rest to us.

What if I am not insured?

If you are not insured, you will probably be personally liable for the cost of repairs. If this is the case, Kleen-Tech will stand by you and help you to work out a way of paying for the restoration. We know times can be tough and we won’t leave you in the lurch.

Do you rent our water extraction an drying equipment?

Kleen-Tech has a range of driers and dehumidifiers available for multi-day rental and we are happy to supply advice on how to make the best use of them. Please call us for delivery or pick-up rates on 1300 30 50 30

What other services do you provide?

Kleen-Tech can provide specialised flood restoration services such as tile cleaning an grout replacement, deep steam carpet cleaning and stream upholstery cleaning as standalone services. If you would like the rest of your carpets restored to the same standard as those which had been flooded, why not get a very competitive quote while our specialists and equipment are working on your flooded premises.